I found this recipe in a newspaper years ago and have found it simple and successful. Serves four as a starter or as a canapé on melba toast or crackers. Excellent with a Yarrh Riesling.
6 roma tomatoes 5 sprigs thyme
2 tblsp baby capers 3 tblsp balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic sliced 6 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
24 ligurian olives, pitted salt and pepper
100g fresh goat’s cheese, cubed
- Heat oven to 150C
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthways and remove half the seeds
- Press pieces of sliced garlic into tomatoes, scatter with capers and a couple of olives in each half.
- Press cubed goat’s cheese into tomatoes
- Sprinkle tomatoes with half the thyme leaves and drizzle with 3 tblsp of the oil.
- Place on lightly greased oven tray and roast for 45 minutes.
- Combine rest of oil with balsamic vinegar and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Place tomatoes on serving plates, drizzle with dressing and serve with crusty bread